Sunday, June 30, 2013

National Parks 2; Angelo 0

Well, I puked again. Just like Lassen. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED Yosemite. Loved it to bits but something about all that heat and curvy roads makes my stomach churn. It was a short episode so after I calmed down we decided to stay one more night. Mommy posted lots of photos on Facebook, here's a rundown of our trip.

Thursday: Yosemite is about 4 hrs away so I got to stop at a place called McDonalds on our way there. They had a play land area with slides and video games. Mommy and Daddy bought some fries and I ate the usual: seaweed, oat bran with chia, yogurt, and some crackers. I had a few fries too-boy were they salty!

When we got to the park the first-come-first serve campground we wanted was all full but we did find an awesome spot at Tamarack Flat. It was the first time Mommy and Daddy had ever been there so that was fun for them. There was lots of rocks around and we picked a site right up against the best ones. Here I am climbing to the top!


Funny thing about Yosemite is that the ground isn't level, hardly anywhere so I tripped and fell a lot. Especially when I was in my new sandals or tired from lack of sleep. You should see my knees and elbows-scrape city!


Why lack of sleep you ask? Well, get this-Mommy kept telling me all week that I was going to sleep in a tent but she failed to mention one important fact; it was a tent the size of a pea-pod and she wanted me to sleep with the door shut! What?! I was like, "are you crazy?" Do you see the size of that thing? I had imagined it to be a big tent like the one in my books. Nope, they put me in this itty-bitty thing and then tried to close the door on me in the dark. So I wasn't having it. First, I made them turn on the lantern and then I insisted the door stay open all night long. So I felt a little better. I fell asleep around 10pm. I was all bundled up since it was about 40 degrees at night but my hat kept falling off. The first night wasn't so bad. I only woke up a few times to ensure the door was still open. Mommy said I tossed and turned a lot though and stole her pillow. When I woke up though, I had a really bad stuffy nose. I was coughing and had runny eyes.

Friday was warm though so we decided to give it another shot. After all, there were some really neat things about sleeping outside. I got to have my first campfire, I got to read a bed-time story outside, and I got to throw my tennis ball into the creek a zillion times and make Daddy go get it. Mommy's favorite is that when she was going to sleep I patted her back (like she does to me) and I kept whispering, "Good night" over and over.


So, after I woke up at 5 am on Friday (it was light out, I thought it was my usual 7:45!) I got everybody up and started our day. We ate breakfast and headed down to the valley where Mommy's favorite swimming beach was. We were the first ones there, I couldn't believe it. Everyone else must have been sleeping in. So we stayed and had a lot of fun throwing rocks, watching ducks, and I even drank a cup of water from the stream when Mommy and Daddy wasn't looking. We stayed there until 12:30. Then Mommy and Daddy ate lunch and we headed north to Hetch Hetchy.

On the way, I slept about 40 minutes. For some reason I don't sleep in cars anymore so just like yesterday I took about 1/3 of my nap. We stopped for about an hour to play at the Evergreen Lodge Resort to take a break from the heat. 90 degrees didn't bother me too much but Mommy gets sick in the heat. She gets cranky when it gets over 75 so she was having a hard time. When we did make it up to Hetch Hetchy we only walked out to see the dam and back to our car. The sun was so hot and I was so tired from lack of sleep that I kept tripping and falling and bloodying myself. Ugh..that's when I puked on the way back to our campsite.

Once we got back it had cooled off and I was feeling better. We decided to have another fire and stay in for the night. This time Mommy got to sleep in the car and Daddy got a chance to snuggle with me. This time was really hard for me. I was so congested that I could barely breathe. I woke up about every half hour to cry out my frustrations. When I couldn't find Mommy I screamed her name a bunch. I'm not sure why she couldn't hear me, I'm pretty sure campsites 1-38 did. At any rate, once Daddy calmed me down I fell back asleep again. Boy, I was so tired at 6:30 when I woke up. We decided it was best to just go home. None of us wanted to hike in the heat without any sleep.

So...Saturday was spent driving home and cleaning up. I think we'll try camping again this summer but we'll probably get a cabin. Or, maybe Daddy could get a big tent like normal people have and we could practice in the living room napping with the door shut. Well, I'll keep you posted because it was a lot of fun, just stressful.


Oh, one good thing is that I'm a really good car traveler. I spent some time talking to grandma on the phone.


I even used my biggest

sentences yet, "turn on the music!" and "I love you Daddy!" Both of those got some pretty big reactions.

Today is Sunday. I feel MUCH better. I ate three eggs for breakfast with fruit and some bagel. What are we doing next weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment