Oh, man...the pressure is on. Only seven more weeks and then Mommy can stop spending my entire nap times researching colleges for me. Ooops, I mean preschools. That's what it feels like though! Sept first is the application date for most of the schools we're applying for. That's right-plural. See, I'm going to do a MWF 1/2 day immersion in Mandarin and then a TTH 1/2 day immersion in Spanish. So that means I have to apply for about 6 schools to hopefully get in! At $100 an application this is no joke. Mom has been pouring over yelp reviews, Twitter feed, Facebook pages, youtube clips- you name it! She has a spreadsheet that narrows the choices down to her top picks. She even made a Google map to show where each of them are physically. Man, I'm exhausted just writing this. You'd think she could just apply to the one we want and it would be over but no. Not that easy. Some schools will tell you in January if you got in, others in May. Of course if you get accepted you only have 48 hrs to reserve your spot and then it goes to the next person. Our #1 pick is already full. So bummed. We're going to apply for Sept. 2015 and see if we can get in though.
So...why Mandarin? So many of my little friends at the park speak Mandarin and it's SO COOL!
This 1st grader has only had two years of Mandarin check him out! I know what you're thinking? Isn't it hard to learn? Well, 1 out of 6 people on the planet can do it, so I think I can too. Hey, I'm lucky enough to live in an urban environment where I can choose to go to a public elementary school Mandarin immersion program. I'd be crazy not to take that opportunity! Here's how it works. I'll do 100% of my 3-hr preschool day in Mandarin 3x a week for two years. Then when I get to elementary school I'll be 60% in Mandarin and 40% in English.
Spanish? No hay problema. I already speak Spanish from a measly one day a week immersion. I'll just keep up the good work in my TTH immersion school for two years then when I go to elementary school I can keep having Spanish speaking babysitters and do some camps and things.
So that's what's going on with me. We'll keep you posted! In the mean-time, I'm doing the same old, same old....
Serving up some roast beef
Here's me with my friend Shelby at snack time
Me and Uncle Frank playing the piano
Campfire songs with Mommy
In my workshop
Trying to take a nap
No comments:
Post a Comment